Grades 6-8 promotion/retention
1. earn an overall cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
2. Earn a score of "Pass on two of the three grade level multiple measures in reading/language arts or demonstrate adequate growth on these assessments or other grade level assessments.
3. earn a score of "pass" on two of the three grade level multiple measures in math or demonstrate adequate growth on these assessments or other grade level assessments.
grade 8 attendance policy
In order to encourage and promote consistent school attendance, all 8th graders will:
- Attend 165 days of school out of 180 (91.7% attendance rate) with no more than three unexcused absences in order to participate in the graduation ceremony, graduation dance, and the 8th grade end of the year trip. Students who enroll in long term home study must complete all assignments on 91.7% of their weekly contracts in order to qualify for participation in graduation, the graduation dance, and the end of the year 8th grade trip.
- Receive a one-time grade point average enhancement if they have 9 or fewer excused absences in the entire school year and no unexcused absences. A grade point average enhancement of .12 will be applied to either ELA/Math grade point average or the overall grade point average, but not both.
- Receive an award at the third trimester awards assembly and be recognized at the graduation ceremony if they achieve perfect attendance in all classes. In order to receive the award for perfect attendance, students must attend every class, every day.
- Will be allowed to "make-up" 1 day of school attendance by attending and successfully completing two Saturday School sessions, if Saturday school is offered.
Students that pass the required grade level assessments and meet the grade point average requirements for graduation, but fail to meet the attendance requirements will receive their diploma and be promoted to the ninth grade, but they will not be eligible to participate in the graduation ceremony, the graduation dance, and the end of the year 8th grade trip.
Students who enroll in short term independent study, but fail to complete all of the assigned work will receive an unexcused absence for each day that they were enrolled in independent study.
In cases of extreme hardship, family emergency, and/or chronic medical issues as documented by a physician, a student may request an administrative review of their attendance record in order to qualify for participation in graduation, the graduation dance, and the end of the year 8th grade trip.